From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>    If my information is right the first 'real' aircraft carrier was HMS
>Furious (15th Aug 1916) a converted cruiser. According to a photo I have the
>'island' was forward and in the center. You took off over the bows and
>landed over the stern. The other contender is HMS Ark Royal (1914)with aft
>superstructure you took off over the bows and landed in the sea to be taken
>on board by crane.
>
>regards Alex

        Steve, & Alex,

        Well, Alex, I am not an accredited historian -- yet.
        However, the source I am about to quote is, as they say,
unimpeachable:
        http://www.history.navy.mil/download/car-1.pdf

        It seems that the first carrier 'launch' was from USS Birmingham,
and the first 'recovery' was on USS Pennsylvania.

        However, in the name of 'aircraft carrier' the Brits (damnit) seem
to have had the upper hand in the innovation.

        So, okay, Alex, you get a free 1/4 keg of Hale's ales, or an
equivalent amount in bottled brew whenever you happen to visit
this part of the 'former colonies'. Go ahead, look for me, I dare ya! <chuckle>

        If you happen to be in this part of the US, drop me a line,
and I'll fill that stein of yours for as long as you can down'em --
guaranteed!.

--
=*= Liberty: Live it . . . or lose it.  =*=

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]