From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Picked this up in my local paper, it may have a bearing on the reasons why
>the police are now destroying surplus firearms.
        --snip--

>It was revealed that the weapon was a Smith and Wesson which had once been
>used as a policeman's gun. Strathclyde police had sold it on to a registered
>gun dealer and records show it was later destroyed.
>
>However, it found its way into the underworld and was wrapped in a towel and
>used to shoot Wilson at close range.
        --snip rest--

        Steve, & DMB,

        Interesting here, that the firearm that was used in the crime
is pointedly
referred to as having been a privately held arm, and note too that the element
of police/government involvement is minimized.
        The sixty four thousand dollar questions are:
        Is it really worth a rat's arse to know who owned the firearm priorly?
        What particular piece of forensic evidence can be gleaned from this?
        Would it have saved anyone's life to know?
        And, if not that particular pistol, then why not another from
elsewhere?

        Maybe the UK government ought outlaw towels? Now there is an idea
which time has come!

--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is

ET
--
I find it rather ironic that Strathclyde Police licensed the RFD
they sold their own gun to, now ACPO are saying that RFDs are not

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]