From:   "IG", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<I don't think it's as difficult to do as IG makes it out to be,
all the questions of who should be allowed to carry and
what the criteria should be can be thrashed out by the
usual methods Parliament uses in all legislation designed
to regulate something. It's done all the time. >>

So leave it to parliament, then. That will be OK. We trust them, dont we?

If so, then you must accept and agree with the current laws they have
passed, i.e. the 97 amendment?

Do us a favour!
IG
--
Parliament has already decided and stated it in law -
it's whomever has a "good reason", and in the case of

I forget his name now (McGartland?) but he applied for
an FAC for self-defence and already held one in Northern
Ireland.  Northumbria Police unfortunately followed Home
Office Guidance and Mr McGartland had a visit from some
IRA terrorists.  As far as I know he is the first person
in recent history to apply, be turned down, and subsequently
be shot.  In this particular case Northumbria Police acted
incorrectly, although it is more the fault of the Home
Office for shoddy, narrow-minded and outdated Guidance.

Members of the UUP and DUP have applied for visitor's
permits to the HO for personal protection and been turned
down as well.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]