From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> There was an article in Gun Digest a few years ago about
>> how the guerillas in Afghanistan were making primers out
>> of nitrocellulose film that was a pretty interesting read.
>>
>> Steve.
>
>I remember reading a Guns Review article some years
>ago about people in an arms dealing town in Pakistan
>scraping off match heads to fill cartridge cases with.
>Always meant to try it but never got round to it, perhaps
>one day.
>
>Jonathan Laws.

        Steve, & Jonathan,

        Well, whatever you do, be careful. I have a friend
who is missing some fingers as a result of such an 'adventure'
from his youth.
        It seems -- as he relates it -- that he was studiously
pulverizing some match heads, in quantities greater than I
had ever attempted myself in this endeavor, and the quantity
decided to 'go off' at a most inopportune time.
        When I did these things, for some strange reason I
had the presence of mind to do it in 'manageable' quantities,
and not in the super amount that he did it.
        I would guess that it depends on the chemistry of
the match. Most experiments I did as a stupid youth, were on
the order of nothing more than the size of a firecracker, and
the results were no more interesting than a really inferior
Roman candle. In other words: a glorified smoke bomb.
        But, what can you expect from a regular book of
paper matches?

        If I were to make a primer, I'd use the strike head
of a safety match, where the greatest amount of phosphorus
exits, combined with nitrocellulose.
--
=*= Liberty: Live it . . . or lose it.  =*=

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]