From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I have always used some form of "wadding" (usually
>polyester dressmaking stuff) on top of light loads in
>large cartridges.
>
>My use of wadding goes back a long way and was centered
>around preventing the detonation of small charges of
>very fast burning powders. After reading an article last
>year that suggested the dangers of detonation were remote
>to say the least I decided to experiment.
        --snip--

>John (on borrowed email address - please believe me!)

        Steve, & John,

        That's an interesting thought you have there
about detonation.
        I have always considered that the charge in a
cartridge acted pretty much as that in the confined
cylinder of an internal combustion engine, and that if
the relative physics are the same, then their characteristics
should also be the same.
        In the petrol engine (gasoline), if the spark is too
hot, or it the conditions are just so, the whole air/fuel charge
will detonate rather that burn from the spark downward, i.e.,
propagate as a flame front.
        So, in that regard, if wonder if having the loose
propellent ignites somewhere in the middle, or more to the
bullet, that it would have the same effect.
        I hasten to point out, however, that in some ammo
made for the SKS, Chinese of origin as I recall, the propellent
was in the form of what resembled a twisted double 'pipe cleaner'.
        Presumably, the end nearest the flash hole started
the ball rolling -- literally.
--
=*= Liberty: Live it . . . or lose it.  =*=

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]