[This is an excerpt from an email I got from a shooter in
Poland - some of you may recall the debate a few years ago
on whether handguns should be legalised there since the fall
of Communism.]

From:   "Pawel Garlak"

The pistol law in Poland is still very restrictive. It is
really hard to get a licence.

There are two kinds of permission.

1. You must belong to a shooters club and you have your own "device"
(you can't carry the gun loaded and/or carry ammo in the magazines on
your way to the shooting field). But you can shoot :))

2. You have received a permission to own the gun to protect yourself.
(It is very, very hard to get it. You must be a jewellery shop owner or
someone like this, but even that does not guarantee the permission.)

To try to get permission you have to:
1 be employed
2 no problems with police (ever)
3 no alcohol or drug problems (ever) - police will ask your neighborhoods
and visit your house.
4 no psychiatric problems or illness (ever)
5 have a home address in your own name
6 pass the gun rules examination
7 pass the psychiatric examination (it takes one day)
8 pass the health examination (you have to be as healthy as a jet pilot:)))
9 get the opinion from your shooting club that you are a good shooter
and you need your own gun.
--
Still less restrictive than the UK then!  By my reading only the
Republic of Ireland has more restrictive gun laws than the UK in

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01