From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

EX-MARINE CLEARED OF `PISTOL IN MOUTH' CHARGE 141556
FEB 10 By Chris Court, PA News.

A former Royal Marine NCO was today cleared by a jury of
making a teenage recruit suck the muzzle of a 9 millimetre
pistol at a training base. David Everall, 33, was alleged
to have put the Browning weapon into the mouth of Brian
Bannister at the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone,
Devon, in 1991. Everall, now a prison officer, of Gothic
Close, Basford, Nottingham, was cleared at Exeter Crown
Court of causing actual bodily harm to Mr Bannister, and
an alternative charge of affray, using or threatening
violence towards him. After the trial Everall said: "I am
overwhelmed at the outcome." He said he had been
"gobsmacked" by the allegation, and added: "I can now
carry on with my life with my partner and get back to
work." Mr Bannister, 17 at the time of the alleged
incident, had told the jury he believed the pistol was
loaded and Everall was going to kill him. Everall, who
left the Corps as a Sergeant with an "exemplary" character,
had told the court allegation was a "kick in the teeth"
and he was "totally flabbergasted" by it. He said he did
not remember Mr Bannister, and had no recollection of
either putting a gun near someone's face, or making them
take the weapon in their mouth. Everall told the court
that when police first put the allegation to him he
thought it was one of his former comrades "having a bit
of a gag". Everall, who served with the Royal Marines at
bases in Arbroath and Deal, and in Northern Ireland and
aboard HMS Endurance, had been suspended by the prison
service for the last 12 months pending the outcome of
the trial.

Kenneth Pantling

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.