From:   "John Hurst.", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>As we all know, the body does the last thing the brain
>told it to do e.g. the decapitated Chicken that runs away
>headless - the last command the body received.

>>Nah, the chicken thrashes because his CNS has been severed, its a reflex
>>action.  If you destroy the brain - or the spine - there won't be even a
>>twitch.  Neck-shot deer, or cattle hit with a captive bolt killer, go
>>down like a sack of spuds.

Jonathan,
                 I think that post mortem muscle spasms do happen. On one
occasion I saw a person with a broken neck following an RTA twitch several
times despite obvious deformity and lack of a discernible pulse to a passing
nurse or myself. The passenger, who was wearing a seat belt and only
slightly injured, was convinced that his mate was still alive. A PM
confirmed
that the spinal cord had been severed.

I also recall accounts of judicial hanging using the drop method which
described how the corpse twitches. Then there is the "Tyburn Jig", but that
is not the same.

Regards, John Hurst.
--
Here is an excerpt of a an interview with Carlos Hathcock that
I found on the web:

"Somewhat less well-known is the part Hathcock played in the
training of police counter-snipers after his retirement from
the service. As I broached this topic, he was careful to draw
a distinction between the military and police sniper: "The
military sniper is an area shooter - that's what I was. There's
36" between a man's chin and his belt buckle, and a hit anywhere
in there will work. However, a police counter-sniper is a
precision, surgical shooter. There's just one spot he's got to
hit, to neutralize the bad guy right then. Say a bad guy has got
a cocked pistol to a hostage's head. The police sniper has to hit
the bad guy so exactly that he doesn't shoot, he doesn't fall
sideways or backwards, he just falls straight down. That's a good
shot, and I have had a few policemen who have made good shots
after they left this school."

Carlos scrupulously avoided describing his police counter-sniper
training in detail, lest he compromise techniques which might be
of benefit to criminals, As he said, "I really idolize those
guys - the police snipers - and that's why I spent so much time
working with policemen." In sharp contrast to military sniping,
in which shots ranging out to 800 yards or more may be taken,
Hathcock noted that the average police sniping incident occurs
at only 83 yards as per recent FBI statistics. Instant
incapacitation of dangerous offenders is THE rationale behind
the employment of police snipers. As such, his training has
focused on shooting at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. Hathcock,
himself, is no longer is no longer physically able to train
students, but he takes pride that several police marksman whom
he personally trained teach at the police sniping at school
Virginia Beach."

If Carlos Hathcock says it can be done, then it can be done!

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01