From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Find this item online at

 http://www.yougov.com/news.jsp;jsessionid=iaa4jpglq1?news.id=10012840

By Alec Marsh

VISCOUNT Cranborne, a Cabinet Minster in the last Conservative
government, has condemned the ban on handguns as "profoundly wrong" and
said the Tories should have told the public to "grow up" in the
aftermath of the Dunblane killings.

In an interview with YouGov the life peer said that the "discredited"
Tory government had been swept along under a wave public insanity and
hysteria.

MPs voted to illegalise 160,000 handguns following the murder of 16 five
and six-year-olds and their teacher at school in Dunblane, Perthshire,
in 1996.

Asked about the ban, Lord Cranborne said: "I think we were wrong. I
think we were profoundly wrong and I was part of the Government that did
that.

"We were swept away on this understandable tide of revulsion of Dunblane
and I was as guilty as any of them.

"It was very difficult to resist particularly at a time when the
Government was so discredited itself."

Lord Cranborne, who was sacked as shadow leader of the Lords by William
Hague in 1998, continued: "It was virtually impossible. Bit of a shame
really because of course the people who really misuse handguns arenÆt
the competition shooters.

"If you want to use a gun for illegal purposes youÆd be absolutely mad
to use a registered one. It's dead easy to get one that isnÆt.

"The insanity of public hysteria was demonstrated again... I feel very
guilty I didnÆt fight more û I should have fought a lot more than I did.
However any government worth its salt û should have used its judgement
and told everybody to grow up."

The peer, who compares the ban to the proposed ban on foxhunting, was
Leader of the Lords from 1994 to 1997 and a junior defence minister
before then.

He added: "What I do think is debatable is the sheer insanity from a
pragmatic practical point of view of Government of criminalising a
million people who are instinctively the most law abiding people in the
country. In the end that is irresponsible government."

Lord Cranborne was Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence,
Ministry of Defence 1992-94 & Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of
Lords 1994-97

The interview in full:

AM: How long do you think the remaining 92 hereditary peers will be keep
their seats in the House of Lords?

LC: Very interesting question. What happened was that when Hague first
became party leader I went to him and said: "We got a plan, we'll tell
you what the plan is, if you donÆt like the plan we'd better think of
another one."
"Oh he said, there's a plan is there? Basically Id better tell  you I'm
a strong advocate of quite a fundamental reform of their Lordships'
house because I Parliament needs rebalancing.

[I said:] "And I think that what this government wants is to do a stage
one reform of kicking out the hereditaries, be left of a House of
entirely nominated peers and leave it at that. There'll be a lot chat
about stage two but it will never actually get as far as stage two. But
thatÆs not good enough.

So what I'd like to do is I'd like to ratchet up the pressure on the
Government uttering all sorts of threats û a Battle of the Somme - and
by the end of period look as though not only do we mean what we say but
that we can do what we say and that by the end of this exercise the
Government will come and say can we do a deal on the grounds they won't
want their entire legislative programme disrupted.

I actually think û and I said to Hague - that if we were to do what we
threatened to do it would be thoroughly unconstitutional and I would not
be prepared to do it. WeÆre not an elected house and they have been
recently elected with an overwhelming majority û we were in 1945 country
û and that not the point of their Lordships' house.

After a bitàrather sooner than expected, Derry Irvine rang me up and
said I think we ought to talk. So I rang up Hague and I said part one of
the plan seems to be working, may I negotiate?

I got as far as I could by about November, I rang up Hague and say,
hereÆs the deal. I said well this is what we got 92 û possibility of a
lot more than that.. ex-leaders who were hereditaries would get life
peerages, so we asked for 100, settled for 92 but actually probably
settled for about 108.

He says: "It sounds alright to me, but we are going to need the approval
of the Shadow Cabinetà I donÆt feel IÆve got the authority to do it on
my own, what do you think?". Well I say, why donÆt we invent a very very
great subcommittee of the Shadow Cabinet stuff it full of people. The
first meeting was scheduled for one Thursday evening rather late û about
10ish û and I saw Hague that morning it was perfectly plain he had
changed his mind but he didnÆt tell me he said he was beginning to have
reservations, I would like to see it discussed in committee. So when the
committee meets IÆm beginning to have slight alarm bells.

SHADOW CABINET - 'SUPPORTED ABUSE OF CONSTITUTION'

Throughout that discussion he said nothing. They turned me down on the
grounds that û four very spurious grounds û their first reason was our
policy on reform of the House of Lords is virtually indistinguishable
from the GovernmentÆs; the Parliamentary Conservative Party of the House
of Commons would never stand for it; three, that we were wasting an
absolutely splendid opportunity to destroy the GovernmentÆs legislative
programme in the House of Lords û which meant I had become the victim of
my own proganda and they were pretty inadequate interpreters of the
British constitution.

I had become a victim of my own propaganda.. they believe that I could
bugger up the Commons and what they wanted me to do - to resign and I
thought well bugger it, I'll just do it anyway, so there's damn all
Hague can do about it really.

In my view it would have been an abuse of the constitution. The fourth
reason was equally fatuous: that we gained a reputation for being
inconsistent in policy terms and here we were doing another policy
U-turn.

I DON'T KNOW WHY HAGUE CHANGED HIS MIND

I donÆt know [William Hague changed his mind]. IÆve never been in a
position to ask him. IÆd be interested to know whether he denied my
version of the story. In the end IÆm told he said that reason that he
didnÆt like what I did in terms of policy û as opposed to going behind
his back, which was the reason he sacked me û was because I had agreed
to give the Government an easy ride and enable it to pass more
legislation in the subsequent session.

Not so. Blair rang me at home after IÆd been sacked at the weekend and
said very sorry, which was civil of him, so I said: "IÆm not in the
least bit sorry," and "itÆs all been rather fun," and "I look forward to
our house giving you at least a harder time in the coming session as we
did in the last." But itÆs a matter of judgement in how far the House of
Lords pushes the Government.

Hague justifies his disapproval to some audiences by saying that I had
given such an undertaking.

MY JUDGEMENT WAS BETTER THAN THEIRS'

I think my political judgement was better than theirs and rather more
seriously that any leader either of the whole House of Lords or one of
the main opposition parties, very frequently finds there is conflict
between his positon as leader ands his party and any leader worth their
salt doesnÆt hesitate about what he thinks is good for the House of
Lords, thatÆs his first responsibility.

No skin off my nose. I always say the great think about politics is you
shouldnÆt take it too seriously. ItÆs too serious to be taken seriously.
The thing to do is to get up every morning û particularly if youÆre a
minister û and say is this morning I could be sacked and I donÆt have
the freehold of Chevening. Basically then itÆs huge fun, every dayÆs a
bonus, and if youÆre kicked out itÆs a rough old trade but itÆs part of
the game. I think if youÆve that attitude I suspect the country will be
better served.

I also think that weÆve forgotten and itÆs a great tragedy in British
politics is that politicians have never done anything else since their A
levels û all theyÆre interested  in is the job and they forget that
being a politician is about judgement.  You can hire an expert but in
the end what you owe the people you work for is your judgement. And for
that you need to clear your mind from too much impedimenta about how
important you are and in the end no oneÆs indispensable.

WHY THE 92 HEREDITARIES ARE VITAL

The reason why I was keen to keep some of the hereditaries, in view of
the rhetoric the Government had expended on the hereditary peers, if we
managed to keep a few the only way I could think there would be standing
a reminder to them that stage one was unfinished businesses.
Particularly if we went for by-elections which they are terrified of,
they really are worried about the what the public effect of by-elections
might be because the hereditaries show up quite well.

The deal was - Derry Irvine was splendid actually, he kept every detail
of our agreement without wavering - he must have been under strong
pressure. What we agreed was that until a year after the next general
election that it would be dead men's shoes. Thereafter if one of the 92
died it would be ballot among that particular section and of course the
point being that would keep the hereditary peerage in being, they'd be
reported and all that and would keep up the message û please remember
stage one is unfinished business.

The 92 are a standing reminder that we do need a proper stage two
reform. The other difficulty is youÆve got the incentive for the
Government to do something about it but the question is what do the
Government want? Blair was explicit to me that he wanted a nominated
house û he said that to me û and so what I think they will try and do
they will try and put Wakeham B into their manifesto, which is 87
directly elected and the rest nominated. The question then will be how
high a priority will they make that?

ThereÆs a difficulty they have and itÆs an issue about which I think Tom
Strathclyde [the Shadow leader of the House of Lords] has been very
clever. He has said to the Government in public and in private: "Come on
we all want a a stage two.. we think Wakeham B is inadequate but we all
have a problem. The Tory party is split on what to do, the Labour party
is split on what to do, and it now becomes apparent that Lib Dems are
also split and if that is the situation then we ought to try and
concentrate on process rather than solutions. How would we actually try
and build a consensus. We need good will on all sides û the Tory party
and the Lib Dems have [given that] the only people who havenÆt said that
is the Government."

And now says Tom, there is a ready have this mechanism to hand, which is
this joint committee thatÆs floating around, why doesnÆt the Government
change their mind and just say here is a useful forum for us to see
whether we can build an all party consensus and please may we do so in
public and lets admit that weÆre in trouble about this in our own
parties.

Actually the bulk of Tory peers including I suspect a high proportion of
TomÆs front bench would die if there was any elected element at all in
the Upper House and would fight to the death on that. Of course the same
is true among the Labour peers.. all the old sweats say exactly the same
thingà they donÆt want.. quite a lot of them are members of the
nominated peersÆ club, who are mostly ex-MPs û and a number of Lib Dem
peers in particular feel the same way, although theyÆre a bit more muted
in saying so.

Why donÆt they recognise that constitutional reform is better done by
consensus and try and build a consensus on stage two. Wakeham himself
gave three options because they couldnÆt agree on which one to go for.
Clearly thereÆs a problem here so letÆs try and solve it instead of
ramming through an inadequate reform which will please nobody.

How long will is it going last? I think it depends entirely on whether
the Government can be made to see reason.

I hope that if the Tory Government is ever re-elected that they will not
forget about House of Lords reform. I tried to persuade the last
Government to do it and failed abysmally.

LORDS' REFORM 'AT LEAST 100 YEARS OUT OF DATE'

We are at least 100 years overdue on reform. My great-great grandfather
when he was Prime Minister and before was advocating reform of their
LordshipsÆ house so clearly he thought it was overdue a long long time
ago.

AM:  Why do you think the British public has put up with it for so
long?

LC: I donÆt think itÆs ever been an issue which excited much. There is a
school of thought û attractive to Governments both Labour and
Conservative - which said we like a hereditary dominated House of Lords
because they themselves recognise they donÆt have the authority,
therefore the House of Lords is a very weak house and therefore the
GovernmentÆs job much easier.

The reason I want reform is a entirely pragmatic one, which is I think
that House of Commons does a lousy job, itÆs entirely dominated by the
Government whips office and its hardly surprising therefore thereÆs too
much legislation ill-drafted, that the House of Commons has lost all
respect.

How do you improve that? Well I think the function of the House of Lords
which canÆt do the job entirely in principle agrees to make sure the
House of Commons does its job properly. In which case its got to have
the authority and the independence to do that.

Why the Governments liked the idea of the hereditary house was that it
may have had the independence, it didnÆt have the authority, whereas if
you were to reform the House of Lords and in my view put in say a 50 per
cent directly elected element, elected perhaps for 12 or 15 years
rolling like the US Senate, but only elected once.

This would have a number of advantages, one you wouldnÆt be able to
claim that the elected element had a more recent mandate than the House
of Commons. If youÆre going to tbe re-elected you need the support of
your party, therefore you rely very much on the support the whips will
lie heavily on you. But if you are there for a long time and you canÆt
be re-elected then you only need your party once and then you can tell
them to lose themselves.

My worry about life peers is that it is not that they will not be
independent once theyÆre there, itÆs the undertakings theyÆve given
before they get there.

AM: How do you think the Conservatives will do at the election?

LC: I havenÆt the faintest idea. The opinion polls arenÆt very
encouraging and everybodyÆs feeling pretty prosperous still and to a
marked degree elections are about economic issues.

Having rather been disobliging about William Hague I do think heÆs the
best leader weÆve got. All I can tell you is that when he was an
extremely good minister and I do think based on that, that he would make
a good prime minister û certainly better than Blair.

BlairÆs view of the future is like one of those early 1963 B movies and
actually big government, Napoleaonic institutions, regional groupings,
level playing fields which outsiders have to climb like table mountain û
are antediluvian and I donÆt think Blair understands that, I donÆt think
heÆs had an original thought since he was at Oxford.

And actually on what makes a polity work now for reason I think that
Blair is in the process of probably destroying our polity just at time
when weÆre doing rather well. In the Seventies when everything was going
up the spout we looked at Germany û we thought thatÆs the polity of the
future weÆve got to be like them, actually itÆs no longer true and I
think Blair is 20 years behind the times, 30 probably.

I donÆt think heÆs ever asked himself the fundamental question of what
sort of polity works û in our fast-changing world and sure as Hell it
isnÆt the Napoleaonic European Union. It might be a British model
European Union but this one is antediluvian.

AM: How many seats does Hague need to keep his leadership?

LC: Firstly: youÆve never lost an election till youÆve lost it and I
think the first job of any Tory is to go out and fight and you never
know you can win. If I had a vote, even if William Hague lost by 100
seats I think IÆd want to keep him on. IdonÆt think itÆs a good idea to
change your leader all the time. And I think you ought to give him a
further crack at it.

I must confess I donÆt immediately see among the candidates who I would
prefer. I think that possibly that if he does lose next time, and
obviously I hope he doesnÆt, I would very much like to see him give the
Shadow Cabinet have a bit more to do - and he mustnÆt tell everybody the
whole of his mind but he has a very buttoned up leadership style which
is difficult to change.

He's an extremely clever man. I never had anything to do with McKinsey
but I dare say the McKinsy style lies pretty heavy on him.

Perhaps one of the things he should do is become a little more û
apparently more forthcoming. I would also get a lot more people to work
for me banshees on policy development. Going into business supporters
and say we badly need your advice on the development of policy and get
the best advice for nothingà and then get some bright young men and
women to put that into a policy and regurgitate it. But I also think you
get to a virtuous circle.

TORIES LACK GRAVITAS

The Tory party at the moment lacks gravitas. ThatÆs a quotation which
you could very easily take out of context. But I think William Hague
would make an infinitely better prime minister than Mr Blair.

Opinion polls tell us that he is not but I think that he is better liked
and understood than he was. I think people admire his sheer persistence.
I mean, it must have been the most ghastly job in politics anywhere when
he walked in the door in 1997 û the only time IÆve seen him lose his
cool was when he sacked me - and for sheer endurance and equanimity I
think that he scores high.

THE MONARCHY IS SAFE -

AM: Do you think the axing of the hereditary peers from the house of
Lords û the assault on the hereditary principle û will have an effect on
the monarchy?

LC: No. I donÆt notice that. ItÆs important that politicians shouldnÆt
ever get their hands on the ultimate authority. It [is] the importance
of the vacuum of power at he top. The answer is that when things are
bad, or rough, and people are ashamed of their country itÆs a hell of a
barrier.

I do think that the New Labour establishment is terribly like what
France was in the late 1840s. In certain portions the Cabinet is openly
republican and large sections of the Labour party are too but they just
know at the moment they couldnÆt get away with it. But in the end
Parliamentary Government with a Queen in Parliament û that is the
ultimate guarantee. If a politician in a crumpled suit takes over at the
top then you get into the same trouble as France û arguably the most
corrupt country in Western Europe.

FOXHUNTING

AM: Do you hunt?

LC: Used to, used to a lot but I havenÆt for 20, 30 years.

AM: Do you regard it as immoral?

LC: People who are against hunting, you wonÆt convince them û theyÆre
too passionate about it. People who do hunt feel that if people who
donÆt actually went and experienced it they might feel rather different.
One thing that isnÆt debatable is the sheer insanity from a pragmatic
practical point of view of Government of criminalising a million people
who are instinctively the most law abiding people in the country. In the
end that is irresponsible government.

AM: But the Conservatives have been accused of doing the same thing over
the ban on handguns?

TORY BAN ON HANDGUNS 'PROFOUNDLY WRONG'

LC: Yes. I think we were wrong. I think we were profoundly wrong and I
was part of the Government that did that.

We were swept away on this understandable tide of revulsion of Dunblane
and I was as guilty as any of them. It was very difficult to resist
particularly at a time when the Government was so discredited itself.

It was virtually impossible. Bit of a shame really because of course the
people who really misuse handguns arenÆt the competition shooters.  If
you want to use a gun for illegal purposes youÆd be absolutely mad to
use a registered one. ItÆs dead easy to get one that isnÆt.

The insanity of public hysteria was demonstrated againà I feel very
guilty I didnÆt fight more û I should have fought a lot more than I did.
However any government worth its salt û should have used its judgement
and told everybody to grow up.

What I do think is debatable is the sheer insanity from a pragmatic
practical point of view of Government of criminalising a million people
who are instinctively the most law abiding people in the country. In the
end that is irresponsible government.

AM: Would you be prepared to risk a ú5,000 to make a point?

LC: I'd start off by saying that if there's a rule of law then you must
obey the law. The whole point about Parliamentary government is why do
you and I do what governments tell us on the whole because we have the
opportunity to kick them out at least once every five years. The problem
at the moment is of course institutions don't work and that large part
of our life is ruled from outside - people who we haven't the
opportunity either to hold to account or to sack - Whitehall and
Brussels and Judiciary.

The result is that it took us several hundred years to effectively until
the 20th century to acquire a habit of being law abiding.. I think all
that's been thrown away now. Increasingly I don't think the deal works
anymore and when the majority of people instinctively said until not too
long ago.. there's parts of the system I don't like, I'd like to change
but broadly speaking I like the system.

So the police others could concentrate on the fringes but now more and
more people don't buy that any more.. then the forces which have to keep
the system going, no matter how much money you spend on them are
inadequate and so the deal breaks down.

LAW AND ORDER - BREAKING DOWN

I think that's what's breaking down and I think the acceptance of the
rule of law is going to come increasingly into question - it is already.
The law becomes an ass. I think that's true about hunting as well. All
one's instincts should be to observe the law but since the system is
system is defying itself people are increasingly going to say, well,
what's it doing for me? That's what I think the danger to Mr Blair is
and he doesn't understand that.

I don't know.. the fact that I don't know I find rather worrying,
because I think five years ago I would have said it is criminal for the
Government to do such things but I must obey the law. I'm beginning to
wonder now.

Mass civil disobedience has got a very honourable record and of course
that part of how polities like this work. I'd prefer if there wasn't a
rut.

--
I think they've made an editorial error in his comment on handguns
as the last paragraph appears to be to do with foxhunting.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01