From:   "roger gascoigne", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

By Jeff Donn Associated Press Writer

SPRINGFIELD, Mass.  (AP) - Smith & Wesson, which angered some  competitors
and consumers when it struck a federal gun-safety deal,  reportedly plans to
shut down two manufacturing plants during July.

WGGB-TV in Boston, citing unidentified company representatives, reported
Monday that Smith & Wesson was responding both to cyclically sluggish
summer sales and consumer resistance in the wake of the gun-safety  accord.
The station said about 500 workers would be affected at plants
in Springfield and Houlton, Maine.

An employee who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity
Monday, confirmed that an internal memo distributed to workers Friday  said
it was "necessary" to close some   manufacturing departments for the  month
of July.

A spokesman for Springfield-based Smith & Wesson, the nation's largest
handgun maker, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Monday.

The company hoped its agreement with the government would bring in more
contracts from city police departments.

But a conference of the National Rifle Association last month  underscored
how the deal has hurt the company with some buyers, as some  shunned the gun
maker's exhibit.

In the March 17 agreement, Smith & Wesson promised to install safety  locks,
demand background checks on gun-show buyers, and work on guns  that can be
fired only by their owner.  Public officials agreed to drop  Smith & Wesson
from municipal lawsuits challenging the safety and
marketing practices of the gun industry.

Competitors have sued the government and some cities over the agreement,
calling it a restraint on trade.  They argue that the government is
illegally pushing police departments to buy from Smith & Wesson.

Meanwhile, authorities in several states have been investigating whether
the company's competitors are illegally trying to squelch its business  in
retaliation for the agreement.

There was a note of good news for the company Monday, though.  The federal
government is granting $300,000 to help Smith & Wesson  develop guns that
recognize the legal user's fingerprints and only shoot  for that person,
state congressmen announced.



  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------

  Editor: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Website & subscription info: www.cybershooters.org

Reply via email to