funny!
that did seem like the longest weekend of my life!
I didn't think it would ever end!






On May 24, 12:20 pm, Kim Benson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 5/24/10 11:06 AM, "david caudle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > one word........WOW!!!
> > Great job Tim
> > DC
>
> > From: Jim Davis <[email protected]>
> > To: [email protected]
> > Sent: Mon, May 24, 2010 10:42:06 AM
> > Subject: Re: [COWs] 600K Ride Report !!!
>
> > I hurt just reading this
>
> > Way to go Tim,
>
> > Jim
>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: Tim & Susan <[email protected]>
> >> To: [email protected]
> >> Date: 05/24/10 10:05
> >> Subject: [COWs] 600K Ride Report !!!
>
> >> Again, 30 riders show up in Morrisville for for the big day/weekend.
> >> Endurance cycling is on the rise as this is again the biggest 600K crowd
> >> ever!  For once John gets to the event before I do as I left home twice, 
> >> once
> >> leaving behind my phone.  For those who ride a lot know that a southeast 
> >> wind
> >> is a rare event.  Well because we were going to Wilmington we were treated
> >> with southeast winds today.  186 miles of headwind.  Also we're throwing 
> >> in a
> >> good solid hour of rain Saturday morning.  All making for a memorable trip.
> >> After a couple hours the main peloton is reduced to about 15 riders.  The
> >> first control stop is at mile 80.  I've never been 80 miles between rest
> >> stops, but no one wants to loose that wind defying peloton so everyone 
> >> keeps
> >> rolling.  Next rest stop is at White Lake, mile 125.  There we take a 
> >> longer
> >> break and eat some lunch.  From there we splinter into smaller groups.  I 
> >> nod
> >> off an invitation to ride with the bullets out front.  I head out with a
> >> larger second group of 8 riders with John and a few other friends we've
> >> acquired over the past few months.  From there another 62 miles to
> >> Wilmington.  John is doing some serious work up front.  He's anxious to get
> >> to Wilmington because we have access to a pool.  I think we arrive around
> >> 6:30.  One of the volunteers Jerry has rented a couple rooms at a motel.  
> >> One
> >> for showers and shut eye and the other stocked with pizza and beverages.  I
> >> eat pizza and phone home before joining John and Geof by the pool.  We 
> >> leave
> >> out around 8:00 headed back to White Lake where we want to catch a few Z's.
> >> I'm feeling really good and with no headwind my ego taunts me into doing 
> >> some
> >> monster pulls.  I'll pay for that later!  Our group of eight riders arrive
> >> back at White Lake, mile 250 at 11:45 Sat. evening.  Capt'n Mike D.  has 
> >> us a
> >> room for showers, food and rest.  My reputation with yoo-hoos is well known
> >> and Mike has me a stash in the fridge.  We watch some of the Tour of
> >> California time trial on TV.  A couple riders head on after a short rest.  
> >> A
> >> couple have their own room and others head to Elizabethtown for a motel 
> >> that
> >> is 4 miles off course because White Lake has a water festival and there is 
> >> no
> >> vacancy.  John and a couple others getting a nap inside.  I'm on the porch
> >> with Mike and I manage to dose a little bit.  Finally after 2:00am I decide
> >> to get back on the bike and head on solo with intentions of finding a 
> >> quieter
> >> place to sleep.  An hour later I'm dead tired, got to lay down.  I find a
> >> church with a secluded side porch.  I'm so tired that as I pull up to the
> >> driveway I try to unclip but can't muster the energy to pull it off so I
> >> tumble over on the asphalt.  Dang, that's first time the Ridley has hit the
> >> ground.  Busted mirror, blood oozing from my knee, I hide the bike behind
> >> some bushes and crawl up on the porch and set my alarm for one hour.  Watch
> >> the moon going in and out of the clouds.  Beep, beep.  I get up at 5:00,
> >> still dark but lots more clouds.  I slowly limp along, I'm nauseous and 
> >> can't
> >> eat.  Gonna be a bad day.  Oh yea, more rain as I approach the next control
> >> at mile 290.  There is John just sitting there dry as a bone wanting to 
> >> know
> >> where I've been.  7:00am.  Our other friends show up a little later.  They
> >> are all getting coffee and food but I pass and head on my way not feeling
> >> very well.  At mile 316 the sky gets really dark, I'm approaching a small
> >> town, Erwin and I find shelter on main street.  Nice bench under a large
> >> awning.  Some serious lightning and heavy rain.  I'm still not feeling well
> >> and I stand up and walk towards the street thinking maybe a bolt of
> >> lightening wouldn't be so bad after all, then the sky lit up and instant 
> >> bam.
> >> I turned around back for the bench.  God is being humorous.  Mile 340 I'm 
> >> in
> >> Angier's.  Haven't seen any others for some time.  I had to eat something 
> >> so
> >> I managed to get down a grilled chicken sandwich at Mcd's.  Now we're back 
> >> in
> >> the hills below Cary and the miles go by very slow.  Mile 355, I can't hold
> >> my head up so I stop again to lay down.  As I'm laying there the 4 bullets 
> >> in
> >> our group ride by looking all refreshed.  They got some serious sleep
> >> somewhere.  Ok only 17 more miles as I'm slowly getting ready to leave, my
> >> buddy Geof rides up.  He's talking a lot of crap, and I realize he is
> >> seriously jacked up on caffeine!  He is riding well so I tag along.  5 
> >> miles
> >> left we have the dreaded hill getting back into Morrisville.  A mirror 
> >> image
> >> of Conner.  3 miles left I watch Goef ride away and more heavy rains 
> >> return.
> >> A couple others in our group ride up from behind but no John as he is 
> >> having
> >> knee problems and the final hills are slow.  372 miles, and NO I will not
> >> ride another 3 miles for an even 375.  John arrives just a few minutes 
> >> later.
> >> Sorry I missed the Sunday ride as I was just finishing up Saturday's ride.
>
> >> tim  
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group 
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.
>
>  235401606v7_480x480_Front.jpg
> 50KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.

Reply via email to