Hi Jani,
I moved this thread to cygwin-apps, are you already subscribed there?
Not yet... But soon I'll will.
you wrote:
I might be able to help with some... Since I'm messing with Gnome stuff already... =)
Great! Yaakov and I have already started to port the most needed stuff. But there are so many packages, we really need more hands.
What is already included: glib2 atk pango gtk2 libIDL ORBit2 intltool
plus some graphic libs and other prerequisites.
Currently I'm working on libbonobo.
Next needed packages are: gconf gnome-vfs
Well, how (in)convenient. I just had program that uses those libs... =)
I have problems with the gnome-vfs testsuite, there are errors.
If you could help to track this down? If you need help with building libbonobo with shared libs I could send you my patches, but I guess I'll upload it the next weekend anyway. Then all prerequisites to build gconf and gnome-vfs are fullfilled.
Then there are still many pending packages, just pick one from the installationorder list and build it. Look into the source packages which are already uploaded (e.g. libcroco or lcms for a small package or glib2 for a bigger package, we use the generic-build-script as base script, then modify it for splitting the distributed packages into devel and runtime and doc packages, plus some additional configure options (i.e. --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc), then add the path of a fresh compiled dll to global PATH when the dll is used during the build. I posted a libtool patch recently, it is needed when using gcc-3.4 and latest binutils since there are tags in the objects which are not recognized by libtool. I use a patch to libtool which is needed when fresh compiled executables which are used during the build. Sometimes there is also needed to allow libtool to link in static libs like e.g. termcap into a dll.
The patches are attached.
The installation order list: shared-mime-info -> Yaakov has a version at his SF site already. gconf gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs libgnome libglade libgnomecanvas libbonoboui hicolor-icon-theme (freedesktop.org) gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring libgnomeui startup-notification gtk-engines gnome-themes scrollkeeper gnome-desktop libwnck gnome-panel gnome-session vte gnome-terminal libgtop gail libgtkhtml
Well I'll see what I can do about these. Can't really promise anything yet, but time will tell.
Then I could need some hints how to initialize a Gnome session. How do I start the Gnome desktop? This is really a stupid question, but I never found a simple 'Howto' about what needs to be started. I would like a simple script like startxwin.sh which starts X when not already ruinning and fires up all what is needed to get the Gnome desktop on the screen, say startgnome.sh or so.
I recall that cygnome2 has pretty good instructions to start gnome.
--
Jani Tiainen
