Thomas Wolff writes:
>> How are updates to man-db, /etc/man_db.conf etc. handled?
> I checked the man-db postinstall script, and it does not overwrite
> man_db.conf if it exists already, so the modification will persist.

No postinstall script should ever modify files in /etc if they have been
changed from their default.  By extension, they shouldn't do any editing
there either.

>> Is a permanent postinstall script provided to maintain the conf on man-db
>> updates?
> Not needed under the observation above. If it were, how would a
> permanent postinstall be deployed?

By naming it correctly and making sure it behaves sensibly considering
that it runs each time setup finishes, i.e. exiting as early as possible
if there's nothing to do, using dash instead of bash and a number of
other things.

Regards,
Achim.