On 24/01/2022 04:42, Marco Atzeri wrote:
It seems calm is now rejecting what cygport is still producing

[..]

ERROR: package 'python36-sh' version '1.14.2-1' obsoletes: 'python3-sh', but nothing satisfies that ERROR: package 'python36-straight.plugin' version '1.5.0-1' obsoletes: 'python3-straight.plugin', but nothing satisfies that
ERROR: error while validating merged x86 packages for Marco Atzeri
ERROR: package 'python36-sh' version '1.14.2-1' obsoletes: 'python3-sh', but nothing satisfies that ERROR: package 'python36-straight.plugin' version '1.5.0-1' obsoletes: 'python3-straight.plugin', but nothing satisfies that
ERROR: error while validating merged x86_64 packages for Marco Atzeri
SUMMARY: 6 ERROR(s)

temporary solved by hand

Yes, there's a disconnect here.

cygport assumes that if we are making a 'python36-' package, a 'python3-' version of the package exists which it should obsolete.

For a new package that assumption isn't correct, which calm considers an error.

I'll try to adjust calm so this isn't so annoying.

But I'm not sure this is how 'python3-' packages should be handled, which probably needs a bit of discussion.

I think I'd like it it if 'python3-' names were retained (so then 'setup -q -P python-foo' gets you a working 'python3 -c 'import foo''), but not sure how those names should work (as a forwarding package, as a provides?), or how those names should work in setup (e.g. it probably doesn't allow obsoletes/provides names to be searched for or specified with -P at the moment).