Am 11.11.2022 um 17:16 schrieb Jon Turney:
On 11/11/2022 15:50, Jon Turney wrote:

As has previously been announced, Cygwin is dropping support for x86 Windows. Cygwin 3.3.6 is the final version supporting x86 (32-bit) Windows, and the forthcoming Cygwin 3.4 will be released for x86_64 only.

Concurrent with that, updates to x86 packages will be stopped, and the Cygwin x86 package repository will be archived.

I plan to pause package uploads this coming Monday (2022-11-14), before starting the re-organization of the package repository to make this archive.
Although expected for a while, the exact date is now a very short-time announcement. Can we have a moratorium for a short while?

When package updates resume (I don't have an ETA, but I expect it will take a few days to attend to all the details), attempts to upload x86 packages will be rejected with an error.

(Instructions on the special steps needed to install from that archive will be forthcoming, once we've worked out what they are.)

If you're using x86 Cygwin under WOW64 on a 64-bit Windows OS, please strongly consider moving to an x86_64 Cygwin installation.

(If you have ARM hardware, we believe that x86_64 Cygwin works correctly using the x86_64 emulation in Windows 11)

If you're one of the tiny percentage of Cygwin users using x86 Cygwin on a real x86 Windows OS, don't panic! The current installation will continue to run on your system. You just won't get any more updates.