On 2023-02-16 17:13, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 2/16/2023 3:31 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 15/02/2023 21:48, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
When building TeX Live (once a year), I have to build texlive, asymptote, and all the texlive-collection-* packages.  I currently can't use SCALLYWAG to do the builds because these packages need to all be deployed at once.  So I have to build them all locally, upload them to my staging area, and then upload !ready files, one for x86_64 and one for noarch.

It would be convenient for me if SCALLYWAG would accept a "stage" token that would upload the files to my staging area without deploying them. Then I could let SCALLYWAG do the builds, and I could upload the !ready files when everything is staged.

If I'm the only maintainer who would find this useful, then I can continue doing it the way I always have.  But maybe others would find it useful too.

I'm not opposed to adding a some feature to support this if needed, but from the way you are describing it, this sounds more like a constraint that the dependency solver should be aware of.

(just because texlive-2023 and texlive-collection-foo-2023 are made available to download at the same time, doesn't mean that they always end up installed together, as the user might alter the version of one or the other)

If they really must be kept in lockstep to work correctly, then there's at least a couple of ways of doing that:

* give texlive an additional provide, such as texlive_2023, and make everything that requires it, require that (something similar is done with perl and perl modules)

* make things which require texlive do so with a version constraint like 'requires: texlive (>= 20230000), texlive (<20240000)' (in theory this works, but I have no doubt that a bug will emerge when someone tries to use it, and ofc, it relies on the range of future versions which are compatible being correctly known in advance)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I should be able to make things work with one or both of your ideas.

Would make sense if scallywag could stage as well as deploy, perhaps using a cygport all-stage command similar to all-test, perhaps when time permits?

Could also deploy in test SCALLYWAG="deploy", then untest each when you want to deploy.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis                 Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                      Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter     not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer        but when there is no more to cut
                        -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry