Am 16.02.2023 um 20:17 schrieb Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps:

Am 16.02.2023 um 19:59 schrieb Jon Turney:
On 21/01/2023 17:04, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
italic-man installs two scripts and hooks them into the workflow of the 'man' command so that the italic attribute of manual pages is actually displayed as italics in terminals that support it.

cygport file attached

Thanks very much for having another go at this.

I'm still not overly keen on postinstall/preremove scripts which modify a configuration file belonging to another package, so I think I'm going to defer to Achim on approving this.

Taking a step back, may I ask a couple of questions?

- Can this be done as a patch to man-db and/or groff?

(perhaps with a separate man-italic package which just contains a marker file which enables the functionality?)

- (If different) how would this be done in an upstreamable way?
Thanks for taking a look.
I understand your hesitation but there are a number of zp_ postinstall scripts around that make updates to mandb, mime db, desktop, various caches, maybe crontab. Well, yes, there could be a zp_ script for man that makes this entry to /etc/man_db.conf itself in the presence of the italic-man package. If that's desired and someone else updates man, I will cooperate on this. I think the installation of italic-man does this in an upstreamable way except for the postinstall mechanism of course which seems to be different (if existent at all) everywhere.
Thomas
I've added a zp_man-db-italic.dash postinstall script as a proposal for man-db to address your concerns, to be found in the repository github.com/mintty/italic-man. However, I find not documentation about these zp_ things, it seems they are just all called after each setup. So would it actually make a difference whether the zp_ is a script of italic-man or of man-db? I've also added a cygport file to the repository so you can try the update if you like.
About your first question
- Can this be done as a patch to man-db and/or groff?
Do you mean the whole thing should not be a separate package at all but completely patched into man-db?
Looking forward to your opinion and that of the man-db package maintainer.
And yes, the hook works on Linux too, so it could be provided somehow upstream.
Thomas