On 12/14/2023 2:46 PM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 14/12/2023 16:50, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 12/14/2023 4:22 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
Hi Ken,

it seems that both

    texlive-collection-latex
    texlive-collection-latexextra

depend on

   texlive-collection-latexrecommended

that seems to me contra intuitive. can you please check ?

Hi Marco,

Do you have an example of a LaTeX file that uses packages only in texlive-collection-latex but fails to compile if texlive-collection-latexrecommended is not installed?  Without this, it's very hard for me to check if the occurrences of "pdftexcmds.sty" that you found really indicate dependencies.  My technical knowledge of LaTeX is not good enough to determine this just from looking at the .sty files.  See below for further comments on a few of the occurrences.

the last gl2ps package had such issue

https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/7204747329/job/19626758626

adding the texlive-collection-latexrecommended
as dependency, solved that issue

https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/7206881393/job/19632744288

Thanks. The problem is that line 111 of /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty contains \RequirePackage{pdftexcmds}. Since hyperref is in the latex collection, pdftexcmds should also be in that collection. I'll report this upstream.

But there's no bug in the latexextra package. The upstream latexextra collection does indeed depend on the latexrecommended collection, and this is reflected in the Cygwin packaging. So this dependency is by design (and it makes intuitive sense to me).

Thanks for the report.

Ken