On Mar 28 02:25, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I have released and announced a test package of tzdata 2024a-2 split into
> three install packages: base tzdata, optional tzdata-right, and redundant
> tzdata-posix, each containing all the legacy zones so that tzset continues
> to work as before.
>
> I could not reduce the base installed zones by many, because most were used
> by tzset, but I did drop a couple of large zone source files, produced by
> the build, that were previously included to allow users to see the source
> zones, rules, and links in effect, saving ~1MB, and dropping the overall
> default base installed file sizes by ~80% to ~20% of current, and download
> tar size by ~60% to ~40%; for all zones aggregate total installed file sizes
> are dropped by ~35% to ~65%, and download tar sizes by ~30% to ~70% of
> current:
>
> install   tar   tzdata
>  721KB  172KB   base
>  984KB   78KB   right
>  669KB   74KB   posix
> 1367KB  444KB   source
> 3667KB  452KB   current
>
> Please check out the announcement, cygwin list echo, source and install
> package summary web pages, cygport changes, setup entries, scallywag builds,
> and let me know if there is anything you see that could benefit from
> improvement.

Fedora Rawhide is not following this scheme.  For F40 and F41 it still
prepares single tzdata packages.  FWIW, OpenSuSE also only comes with a
single timezone package in Tumbleweed.

Comparing the Cygwin and the Fedora package, the only differences are:

 Cygwin comes with two files not in the Fedora package:

   /usr/share/zoneinfo/rearguard.zi
   /usr/share/zoneinfo/zonenow.tab

 Fedora comes with two files not in the Cygwin package:

   /usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list
   /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules

That's all.  And given that space is not one of the major limiting
factors anymore...

  cyg$ du -sh /usr/share/zoneinfo
  6.6M    /usr/share/zoneinfo

  fed$ du -sh /usr/share/zoneinfo
  4.6M  /usr/share/zoneinfo

...I do wonder a bit if this split is really necessary after all.

Corinna