On 2024-05-06 09:27, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 04/05/2024 20:21, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
Thanks Jon? - yay!

Right, I deployed some changes to calm which will gradually let us get rid of the "old-style" of obsoletion (where, as here, the old name of a package (i.e. font-unifont-misc, font-unifont-ttf) continues to exist with a category of _obsolete and requires: its replacement)

(cygport stopped generating these some time ago (0.34.1, 2022), but they've been lingering around indefinitely, because in some cases it's only the existence of these packages which currently records the fact of the obsoletion)

Since someone's bound to get the wrong end of the stick: This doesn't mean package maintainers should change anything.

And just to reiterate: As a principle, every version of a package must contain complete instructions for upgrading to it. So, it is almost never correct to go "I'll remove these OBSOLETE instruction after one package release with them, since they've already happened everywhere..."