On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> For starters, how are you connecting to ABAQUS with Exceed?

I'm running it locally.

> Are you using ssh to connect to a remote machine, then launching ABAQUS
> from that command-prompt?

No. I am able to launch ABAQUS from a remote machine (SGI), but I want to
run it locally. See below.

> Are you using XDMCP to get a graphical login session on the remote
> machine, then clicking an icon to start ABAQUS?

no.

> Note that both of these procedures are documented in the User's Guide:
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html
>
> Or, are you using some entirely different mechanism, on which you will
> need to elaborate if we are to be able to help you?

I have ABAQUS 6.3.1 for Windows installed on my Windows 2000 laptop. I
also have the current cygwin and cygwin-xfree installed and working
properly and I'm using the waimea window manager.

I'm starting ABAQUS from a Windows Command Prompt via "abaqus -cae" or
from the Star Menu or from a cygwin bash shell. I get the follow error
messages:

"ABAQUS Error: The Exceed executable could not be located. This may
indicate a problem with the Exceed installation or an upgrade to the
Exceed installation."

"First, please check that you have Exceed installed and working correctly.
Then, please reinstall your ABAQUS Products in order to resolve this
problem. If this issue persists, please contact your local ABAQUS support
office for further assistance."

I don't have Exceed installed and I was hoping there is a way to use the
cygwin XFree86 server in place of Exceed. I'm assuming I have to edit the
abaqus_v6.env and/or graphicsConfig.env files, but I don't know what
changes to make or if it is even possible to do this. Maybe Exceed is
really required, as the ABAQUS documentation indicates.

Kevin.

> Harold
>
> Kevin Van Workum wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got ABAQUS to use the cygwin x-server? How did you set it up to
> > use X11 instead of Exeed?
> >
> > Kevin Van Workum, PhD
> > National Institute of Standards and Technology
> > Polymers Division 224/B228

Kevin Van Workum, PhD
Polymers Division 224/B228
301-975-4631