On Fri 19/03/04 Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Umm... the clipboard should work with emacs... if it does not, then
that
> is a problem.

I've just tested Cygwin's emacs and that is fine now.  Unfortunately, I
have
no need for that because I run the Windows native port locally (for
speed
and stability) so I hadn't noticed that it was working.  The problem I
was
having was with a remotely started emacs - a crusty 19.30.2 GNU emacs.

Until very recently, the clipboard thread would crash if I tried to
paste an
emacs selection into a Windows app.  Recent changes to the clipboard
have meant that instead of crashing, the clipboard thread now outputs
the following to the log:

winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - XConvertSelection ()
failed, aborting: 1

This was the clue I needed.  Since the cygwin version is OK now, I
compared the select.el code for the latest emacs with the 19.30 version.
There were just two differences, so I tried the newer code with the old
emacs.  Bingo!  It now works like a charm!

For the archives, the problem was that the old version needed:
    (COMPOUND_TEXT . xselect-convert-to-string)
to be added to selection-converter-alist.

Phil Betts

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com