Simon Keen wrote:
I am trying to run remote clients on an X server using telnet, but am encountering an error. My setup is as follows:

 - runnning X server on Cygwin_NT-5.1 on a windows XP Professional
laptop. I initiate this by running the default "startxwin.bat" from the
directory "C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin";

 - in the bash shell that opens I enter "xhost +" to disable access
control;

 - I then telnet from my laptop to an HP-UX 11.0 server at IP
158.234.197.198, and login as root;

 - I run "export DISPLAY=158.234.197.171:0.0" (the IP of my laptop);

 - I run an application requiring an X window: "sam", which raises the
following error:

XIO:  fatal IO error 232 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
"158.234.197.171:0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

 - I get the same error if I try to run "xterm" or "xclock";

 - As far as I know there is no port blocking between my laptop and
ther server. A trace route displays:

D:\>tracert 158.234.197.198

Tracing route to 158.234.197.198 over a maximum of 30 hops

  1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  158.234.197.198

Trace complete.

 - with the X server running, I am able to run local X window
applications, e.g. "xterm" or "xclock";

Any suggestions?

Simon.

___________________________________________________________ Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now. http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry

is your XP firewall on?
If you login to the HP-UX box as a non-root user, does the same error occur?