On 30/09/2009 12:04, Marc Girod wrote:

Hello,

My last cygwin upgrade changed the fonts used in GNU emacs.
This is:
xorg-server         1.6.3-1         OK
emacs                23.1-10        OK
cygwin               1.7.0-61       OK
font-alias            1.0.1-1        OK

A big change with emacs 23 is that it now uses Fontconfig and Xft for font rendering. All other things being equal this should improve things, allowing anti-aliasing etc.

Until now, I belive I was using:
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 1.0.0-1        OK

I get now under emacs:

(list-fontsets)
Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
Fontset: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard
Fontset: -monotype-Courier
New-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-0-fontset-startup

I'm not sure where monotype-Courier New font is coming from, I don't think it's one of the fonts we provide. However, I believe the latest fontconfig package had a tweak by Yaakov to allow it to find the fonts in the Windows fonts directory as well.

How emacs selects it's default font is a mystery to me.

In fact, I might be happy with 'Courier New' (fixed fonts anyway!) if it
wasn't for one glitch:
the bold font is narrower than the normal one!?

In my emacs shell, the command is in bold once you have run it, but not
while you edit it.
It means that the command you edit doesn't align with the previous one which
failed,
and which you are just fixing.

Of the two widths, I prefer the narrower one (I find the width/height ratio
of the medium
Courier New less readable).

So, may I align the widths?

Thanks,
Marc

Perhaps try 'emacs -fn "bitstream vera sans mono"'

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer