On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:14:56PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>On 11 October 2010 17:02, reckoner wrote:
>>Evidently, there is some subtle difference in how the DISPLAY variable,
>>which is set in the user startup files is processed by rxvt as opposed
>>to mintty.
>>
>>Ultimately, although the DISPLAY variable is clearly set in the user
>>startup files, I additionally had to set it higher up in the startup
>>process in /etc/profile in order to get it to work with mintty.
>
>Rxvt and also xterm set DISPLAY to the X display they're connected to.
>Mintty of course isn't an X application, hence all it could do is take
>an uneducated guess and set DISPLAY to ':0'.  I don't think that would
>be appropriate, because no X server might be present or it might point
>at the wrong one.  The Cygwin console and PuTTYcyg don't set DISPLAY
>either.

You probably could try to figure out if the X server is working and then
see which display is being used from that but I really don't think it
makes sense to slow down mintty to perform this check.  FWIW, this
wouldn't work with the linux console either.

IMO, it just boils down to a situation where, if the user wants to have
things display remotely, they have to go to the effort to properly set
the DISPLAY environment variable.  Modifying mintty, the cygwin console,
or any other non-X application to do the right thing isn't the way to
go.

cgf