Short version:

Can somebody please point me to instructions for setting up xfs on Cygwin/X? I especially need to know how to set this up so that Courier fonts work properly for sizes for which there is no corresponding pcf file. Is xfs really needed, or is putting in the right libfreetype bits and pieces enough? The files that go in
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 on Mandriva, for instance?

Long version:

Two machines both running Xorg, one is an old Mandriva 2008.0 machine with Xorg 7.2 on the console, and the other is a Cygwin machine using whatever Xorg version is current
on Cygwin/X.

In nedit they handle the following font differently:

-*-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-*-*-*-iso8859-1

That works fine on the Mandriva machine X11 server, but uses some other font on the Cygwin X11 server (in both cases the Nedit client is on the Mandriva machine). I don't know what font is actually being used, but it isn't fixed (no error messages relating to this show up in the X.0.log file).

I looked through the fonts on the Mandriva machine and it does not actually have a 17 point Courier font in the 75dpi directory, so it is coming up with that size on the fly, presumably through xfs, which is running there. Change to 14 pt (for which a pcf font file exists) then it is fixed width. Unfortunately that font is much too small on the monitor in question. Seems like font use on the Mandriva server is through xfs, but Cygwin/X client cannot use it, and isn't running its own copy.

The main server has in /usr/share/fonts:

100dpi/ 75dpi/ cyrillic/ default/ fluxbox-artwiz-fonts/ misc/ OTF/ Speedo/ ttf/ TTF/ Type1/

whereas the Cygwin variant has only the first two, and only the 75dpi has any fonts in it.

Presumably the Cygwin X11 server could be aimed at the Mandriva xfs, but for reasons I don't want to go into
here it would be much better if the Cygwin machine ran its own xfs.

How is this done?  (Pointer to instructions?)
Also, which part of xfs is coming up with the nice 17 point courier? What else, if anything, needs to
be added to get that functionality?

Or is xfs irrelevant and this is done through libfreetype? The Mandriva machine definitely loads that, and the Cygwin does not. Moreover on the Mandriva machine there is a /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/adobestd35/ directory with a .dir file that does include a Courier entry.

Thank you,

David Mathog
mat...@caltech.edu