Actually, I use windows shortcut with the following command line:
C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/zsh -l -c 'exec startxwin'

I'm guessing the startxwin is responsible for setting up the login
environment. Still, the only way to start processes inheriting from
the login shell seems to be by using the tray icon.

It would be nice to have a startxwin flag that did that, eg:

startxwin -command 'urxvtc -e zsh' # instead of starting a new xwin
instance, this would send a command to be spawned by the running login
shell

which would have the same effect as select a .XWinrc menu entry with
the following 'urxvtc -e zsh'