On 12/18/2014 11:51 AM, Jean-Marc Colagrossi wrote:
Hi all,

I need you help to understand what's wrong with X server or my .startxwinrc
file.

I work with X server -> Xterm and vim since month now. Every thing was
always working perfectly.

Yesterday I upgraded all cygwin packages and just after that I was unable to
start X server again.

I made a new fresh installation and X server works correctly. Then I made a
copy of my olds files like .startwinrc, .bashrc .vimrc and all my shortcuts.
When I tried to start the X server I had the same problems. X server crashed.

I removed one by one all the files I copied up to I deleted .startxwinrc.
Then the X server start correctly. my .startxwinrc had only 3 lines with :

xterm -bg Black -fg White&

I deleted all the lines just to have a blank .startxwinrc. But X server
still crashes.

Here is the log when I run startxwin from terminal with an empty
.startxwinrc file

I don't understand what I did wrong as it was working fine before.

xinit behavior is changed, see relative announcement
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2014-11/msg00004.html

It will execute all command of .startxwinrc  or startxwinrc
and then the X server will shutdown.

you can
1) remove .startxwinrc, so that the default will prevail.
   see for an example /etc/defaults/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc

2) you put in .startxwinrc any command without "&"
   and the xserver will close when that command will end.

   as examples:
     xterm -bg Black -fg White
     sleep inf

You are not the first one, that was caught by surprise.
Re-reading the announcement helped me on understanding the matter.

Thank you

Regards,

Colagrossi Jean-Marc

Regards