On 2/2/2015 9:12 PM, Jim Garrison wrote:
On 2/2/2015 5:21 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
 On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:52 -0800, Jim Garrison wrote:
 I updated Cygwin (which pulled in a bunch of Cygwin-X updates) and
 now startxwin no longer works.  According to the log (below) it starts
 the XServer successfully but then shuts down.

 My .startxwinrc is an empty (zero-length) file to prevent automatic
 launching of the default clients, which I don't need.

 http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-startxwinrc-exit

Thanks.

I want to start an X server in the background, with no visible
clients, if it's not already running, whenever I launch a mintty
session. X should continue to run even if the mintty session that
started it is closed.

Currently I have the following in my .bash_profile

    ps -ef|grep -q XWin || nohup setsid startxwin 2>startxwin.log&

This now works again after adding "exec sleep infinity" in
.startxwinrc, but I can't help feel my whole approach is a bad hack.
Both nohup and setsid seem to be required. Without setsid the mintty
will hang if I attempt to close it with exit or ^D, and without nohup
the X server terminates whenever the first mintty session is closed.

Is there a cleaner way to accomplish this objective?

Are you willing to have the X Server launch when you log into windows and just
keep it
running? This is what I do and I find it very useful. I launch the X server
when I log
in using a shortcut with the following target:

C:\Apps\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -emulate3buttons 100 -multiwindow -clipboard -swcursor"

I then place this shortcut into the Startup folder of my Start menu.

I hope this helps.