On 18/02/2015 23:07, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 18.02.2015 um 14:35 schrieb Jon TURNEY:
On 18/02/2015 02:54, rhofm...@rayed.de wrote:
Dell Latitude E6540, german keyboard.

I can type AltGr-{ ... and so on, but ctrl-alt-{ ... as labeled on the
keyboard gives something wrong.

It seems like when Alt is pressed Ctrl (Strg) is ignored, it gives the
same keys as without Ctrl.

I tried some things with setxkbmap, but no success.
Your description is quite inprecise; which terminal do you use (xterm?)
and what exactly do you expect and see in those cases?

I believe that '{' is on the 3rd shift level of 7 on a German keyboard.

So AltGr-7 gives '{', and (under Windows) Ctrl-LAlt-7 does the same.

Unfortunately, there doesn't currently seem to be a way to configure X
to act in this way.

What I meant to say is: There doesn't seem to be a simple way to configure X to act in this way. You could make you own keyboard layout which behaves in this way...

In xkeyboard-config language, you are trying to access the "3rd level
shift" for a key (1st level is the normal key, 2nd is the shifted key)

I believe that the standard (DIN 2137) specifies that this 3rd level
is accessed by right alt.

ctrl + left alt being equivalent to right alt is a Windows-ism [1].
Again, not sure exactly what effect you suggest but in fact
Ctrl+Left-Alt and AltGr can be distinguished and it works in both xterm
and mintty. (It's a bit tricky and I don't recall the details right now,
it involves considering the sequence of events.)

The problem isn't that Ctrl-LAlt and AltGr aren't distinguished to X.

The problem is that the X keyboard layout doesn't map the Ctrl-LAlt-key combination as Windows does.

Ideally, we would have something like 'setxkbmap -option lv3:mswin_compat' to configure that mapping, but that doesn't exist at the moment.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer