On 24/11/2016 14:46, David Lee Lambert wrote:
So I have several Win7 or Win10 PCs with a small set of users who use them,
I had modified the "XWin Server" shortcut by making it a per-user start
menu item that would start each user's server at a different display number.
Since some recent update, those shortcuts no longer work. Here's the error
message...

  A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.

  Unrecognized option: /home/**user**/.serverauth.17056

  Please open the logfile for more information.

  Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
  Release: 1.18.4.0
  Contact: cyg...@cygwin.com
  Package: varsion 1.18.4-1 built 2016-07-22

  XWin was started with the following command-line:

  /usr/bin/XWin :3 -multiwindow -listen -auth /home/**user**/.serverauth.17056

Since xinit-1.3.4-5/xserver-1.17.0-1 the -listen option is implemented in Xwin, not in startx, and now takes a protocol name.

So I think you need to change '-listen' to '-listen tcp' in your shortcut.

Screenshot at  http://bit.ly/2gEeJkZ .

Also, when I do start X, Win32 PuTTY doesn't seem to be able to forward
remote programs to it any more.  PuTTY does have an option to point to
a ".Xauthority" file, but that doesn't seem to help.

I sw some threads a few months ago that sounded similar, but reading through
them so far I don't see a concise solution.

I guess [1],[2] are the threads you refer to.

I'm afraid there is no simple solution, currently.

I guess what's needed is a patch to startx(|win) to use a deterministic .serverauth filename, or to add an option to disable the use of an authority file with the -auth option.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-02/msg00075.html
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-09/msg00358.html

--
Jon Turney