Michel LaBarre wrote:
L A Walsh,

Please forgive the following naïve points but since I saw no mention of the
easy checks...

Did you do a "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" at any point to pare out any obvious
corruptions?
----
        I have done chkdsk and sfc's in the past and both have been
clean.  Note -- this problem existed on the old computer as well (i.e.
before moving the system image).

I did an sfc yesturday and it found some uncorrectable probs -- haven't
checked specifics, but it's usually complaining because I have edited some
of the admin-utuil tools more to my liking -- and they get stored back
into the OS-files area, so it complains about that.

        I'm running on a RAID10 of SSD's, while disk corruption isn't
out of the question, it seems unlikely. Only time I experienced disc corruption in the past 15+ years has been some lost-extents that
were restored to a tmp area then deleted.

No messages in windows App or system log?
---
        Ha!  0.  Of ANY kind.  Another long term prob that MS wasn't
able to solve.  My event service won't start.  Something reported to MS
forums about 3-4 years ago.  No one was able to solve it, and I wasn't
the only one with the problem.  Eventually people were told to upgrade
to Windows 10 in order to fix it:

        Error 4201: The instance name passed was not recognized
as valid by a WMI data provider.

Does anything else behave out of the ordinary?
---
I performed a reinstall/upgrade in place that supposed resets system files to their original state. Sigh.

Since your environment is suspect (given you moved a disk from another machine I believe) and Cygwin/win7 are not, why not rebuild and re-install?
----
        Re build?  re-install?  Are you talking the inplace option or
a reformat otion?...the later would be a huge pain, as I already have software
that has stopped working that the company no longer supports giving you
replacement licenses for (Adobe).  They only support you "upgrading to the
cloud" and paying to rent...whereas the SW I have would work fine if they
hadn't build in a timebomb in the form of DRM that eventually won't renew.

        If an individual did that, they'd go to prison, but if a corporation
does that, its considered good company management (Adobe's profits have gone up
by some huge amount when they went to subscription model). -- Of course they are
no longer doing much development -- no need to come up with new stuff
to attract upgrades...  Which is why MS went to subscription and ads for
supporting
Win10 -- to get you out of the ownership habit.

Re-installation would give you assurance going forward that no surprise is
about to upset some schedule due to a different less innocuous failure.
----
        It's the re-install of over 300 applications with varying licensing
procedures (if they still exist at all) and various sources that is the hardest
part.

Cheers,
Michel (AKA "someone" - I replied to you directly L A Walsh because I assumed many would find no problem as with me resulting in lots of SPAM in the mailing list
   FTHOI I tried it on a Win 7 box and it worked ok as in my Win 10 systems

---
        Ah...didn't presume to know why, I just decided to not a
assume anything...