On 7/15/2018 9:21 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2018-07-15 00:39, john doe wrote:
On 7/14/2018 10:50 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
I've installed a few WSL distros for comparison and downloaded a bunch of other
manpage sets and unpacked them:
$ l /proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local/share/man/
cat1/          debian@                      man1p/  mann/           SunOS-5.10/
cat3/          Debian-8.1.0/                man2/   netbsd@         suse@
cat5/          freebsd@                     man3/   NetBSD-7.1/     SuSE-11.3/
cat7/          FreeBSD-12-current/          man3p/  openbsd@        ubuntu@
cat8/          FreeBSD-ports-11.1-RELEASE/  man4/   OpenBSD-6.2/    x@
centos@        hpux@                        man5/   ports@          X11R7.4/
CentOS-7.1/    HP-UX-11.22/                 man6/   redhat@
darwin@        man0p/                       man7/   RedHat-9-i386/
Darwin-7.0.1/  man1/                        man8/   solaris@
but despite reading docs, adding links and changing configs, I'm unable to get
man/-db to access these with or without the -m system switch.
I know I must be missing some essential point, but searching has not come up
with anything to help me fix this.
Has anyone here set this up and can suggest an approach that will work?
In addition to the other answers; maybe exporting those directories in the
'PATH' env variable...

I already tried listing them all at the end of man-db.conf and MANPATH.

I was talking about the env 'PATH' var and not 'MANPATH' but that does not make any difference. :)

From the test I've done and using:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-creating-a-manpage/

$ cat ${HOME}/try/mann/bogus.n
.\" Manpage for bogus.
.\" Contact vi...@nixcraft.net.in to correct errors or typos.
.TH man 8 "06 May 2010" "1.0" "bogus man page"
.SH NAME
bogus \- create a new LDAP user
.SH SYNOPSIS
bogus [USERNAME]
.SH DESCRIPTION
bogus is high level shell program for adding users to LDAP server. On Debian, administrators should usually use bogus.debian(8) instead.
.SH OPTIONS
The bogus does not take any options. However, you can supply username.
.SH SEE ALSO
bogus(8), passwd(5), bogus.debian(8)
.SH BUGS
No known bugs.
.SH AUTHOR
Vivek Gite (vi...@nixcraft.net.in)

$ man --manpath=${HOME}/try bogus
man(8) bogus man page man(8)

NAME
       bogus - create a new LDAP user

SYNOPSIS
       bogus [USERNAME]

DESCRIPTION
bogus is high level shell program for adding users to LDAP server. On Debian, administrators should usually use bogus.debian(8) instead.

OPTIONS
The bogus does not take any options. However, you can supply username.

SEE ALSO
       bogus(8), passwd(5), bogus.debian(8)

BUGS
       No known bugs.