Hi Michael,

ah, there was a similar change for sed, that’s why I missed it when searching
for the change.

I believe this is slightly different case, as the pipes were only included in
the example I sent.  The grep fails to match CRLF to $ even if physical files
are involved and `-a` option is enforced:

# Create file with CRLF
$ echo -ne 'foo\r\n' > crlf.txt

# Use 2.27-2 version -> works OK
$ ./grep-2.27-2.exe 'foo$' crlf.txt
foo

# Use --binary —> doesn’t find anything OK
$ ./grep-2.27-2.exe -U 'foo$’ crlf.txt

# Use —text —> finds the text OK
$ ./grep-2.27-2.exe -a 'foo$' crlf.txt
foo

# No amount of options makes the grep find the text in the file
$ ./grep-3.0-2.exe 'foo$’ crlf.txt
$ ./grep-3.0-2.exe -U 'foo$' crlf.txt
$ ./grep-3.0-2.exe -a 'foo$’ crlf.txt

So. I would be perfectly fine, if I had to slap `-a` to every grep command
reading text output, because the default has changed.

Sed doesn’t have --text option, so sure, there’s no other option available.

Thanks,
Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý