On Sat, 2020-03-21 at 07:40 +0100, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> Am 21.03.2020 um 05:55 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Could this be due to the ginormous number of targets configured into
> > > the build?
> >
> > may be, as it also take ages to full compile with the
> > current configuration:
> >
> > #       --enable-shared
> > CYGCONF_ARGS="
> >          --enable-install-libiberty
> >          --disable-gdb
> >          --disable-libdecnumber
> >          --disable-readline
> >          --disable-sim
> >          --enable-64-bit-bfd
> >          --enable-targets=all
> > "
> >
> > I am testing a build dropping the "enable-targets=all"
> > and also forcing the "enable-shared"
> >
> >       --enable-shared \
> >          lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all

If that doesn't work, feel free to borrow:

https://github.com/cygwinports/binutils/blob/master/2.24.51-shared-libs.patch

However, these libraries are (by design) API-unstable, so is not
recommended to allow other code to link against these shared libs,
therefore I would also suggest:

https://github.com/cygwinports/binutils/blob/master/binutils.cygport#L30-L38

> > Hoping it will note ages again....
>
> "NOT take"
>
> dropping the target seems to work very well
>
> current version
> $ du -sb /usr/bin/gprof.exe
> 5424147 /usr/bin/gprof.exe
>
> under build
> $ du -sb gprof/gprof.exe
> 19968   gprof/gprof.exe
>
> any clue why we are using a "enable-targets=all" options ?

Not sure, but if it's just so that 32-bit utils can read 64-bit
binaries (which is useful), --enable-targets=x86_64-pep should be
enough.

> Any cross compiler should use its own binutils not the cygwin one, correct ?

Yes, regardless.

--
Yaakov