On 2020/03/24 00:18, Jay Libove via Cygwin wrote:
Problem:
Under certain circumstances (see Steps to Reproduce, below) Cygwin programs'
built-in argv[] globbing will produce unexpected:
"{programName}: cannot access '{glob pattern}: No such file or directory"
e.g.
"ls: cannot access '*.pdf': No such file or directory"
.. despite the fact that e.g. *.pdf definitely exists.
----
   This isn't a bug or a problem, it is working normally as expected.
Cygwin programs don't have built-in argv[] globbing or processing.

   The problem you are seeing is because you are calling cygwin programs
from a windows shell.

   On windows, every program has to be built with glob processing.

On unix, glob processing happens in the shell, so all unix (linux+cygwin) type programs have no glob processing because they know that globbing is built
into the shell (like bash or csh, or dash, etc).

If you run 'ls' *.pdf in bash, bash expands the *.pdf into arguments
that don't contain a glob (if the glob matches a file).  So 'ls' sees
only fixed filenames and no globs.

When you run 'ls from the Windows shell, Windows cmd.exe doesn't expand
glob chars into anything.  so 'ls' sees a literal file name of '*.pdf'.

On linux you can name a file '*.pdf' (using an asterisk as a valid character).
Unless you have a file named, literally '*.pdf', ls won't see it.

Cygwin does simulate this: example:
 cd /tmp
/tmp> touch \*.pdf
/tmp> ls *.pdf
*.pdf
/tmp cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\tmp>ls *.pdf
ls *.pdf
'*.pdf'

^^ note that now windows find *.pdf because there is a file named '*.pdf'
(quotes added by 'ls').

Does this explain your issue, or am I not understanding it?

Thanks (I'm not a cygwin author; just answering the question)
Linda

Steps to Reproduce:
* Have some files in the local director with accented characters in the names,
e.g.:
C:> mkdir c:\temp\test
C:> cd c:\temp\test
C:> touch h�llo.pdf
C:> touch g�odbye.pdf
C:> touch normal.pdf
* DON'T have the LANG= environment variable set to anything
* NOT in bash or Cygwin Terminal, but rather within Windows CMD.exe, execute a
Cygwin command which needs to do file name globbing because the Windows CMD.exe
shells does not do so for it, e.g.
C:> ls *.pdf
C:> cat *.pdf
These will produce "ls: cannot access '*.pdf': No such file or directory"
Although, curiously,
C:> ls *or*
does correctly produce:
normal.pdf

Also, display output of the �cc�nted characters is incomplete:
C:> ls
'g'$'\303\262''odbye.pdf'  'h'$'\303\251''llo.pdf'   normal.pdf
C:> bash
jay_l@DESKTOP-I9MRIE3 /cygdrive/c/Temp
$ ls
'g'$'\303\262''odbye.pdf'  'h'$'\303\251''llo.pdf'   normal.pdf

Analysis:
I've verified that it's not about case sensitivity. That is, it's not a matter
of ls *.pdf vs. ls *.PDF.
If these test commands are run either under bash.exe or within a Cygwin
Terminal window, the problem does not occur.
I've verified that the Windows system locale (per Windows' Region setting)
actually doesn't matter. (I've reproduced this both on systems in Region Spain
with language English-International and English-Ireland, and in a VM with a bog
standard vanilla US English Windows).

Credits to Paul for suggesting deleting files one by one until the problem goes
away, and to Andrey for pointing out `locale` and the LANG= setting.

Set LANG=en_US.UTF-8, e.g.
C:> set LANG=en_US.UTF-8
.. and the problem goes away.
C:> ls *.pdf
g�odbye.pdf
h�llo.pdf
normal.pdf
C:> ls
g�odbye.pdf
h�llo.pdf
normal.pdf

Interestingly, Andrey mentioned that he sets LANG=ru_RU.CP866 and he doesn't
see the problem. When I tried that exact setting, I still had the problem.
So it's maybe not just that LANG must be set to *something*, but that somehow
LANG must be set to something that matches something in Windows? (Sorry, I know
that's nearly uselessly vague).

In summary, it appears that the way that the argv[] globbing code which gets
compiled in to Cygwin programs functions a bit differently than the way the
shell globbing code works within bash.exe.
And this produces unexpected globbing failures.

Thanks to all the Cygwin maintainers for this amazing software, for so many
years!
-Jay