On May  7 20:33, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 10:54 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On May  5 08:45, Biswapriyo Nath via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Chaging the defines in package may break others installation.
> >
> > No, it doesn't in this case.
>
> In what case would it?

Case 1: Creating Cygwin executables

Case 2: Creating native executables

In case 1, setting _WIN32_WINNT to 0x0600 just follows reality in that
Cygwin executables don't run on pre-Vista anymore, so using Win32
functions from same executables follows the same rule.

In case 2, it's a legitimate goal to create executables still running on
older versions of Windows.  In how far changing _WIN32_WINNT makes sense
or not for native development doesn't actually belong here, it would
have to be discussed on the mingw-w64 mailing lists.

> > Yaakov is talking about mingw-w64 headers used to create *Cygwin*
> > applications using the occasional Windows function.  Cygwin executables
> > in the distro run on Vista but not on XP or 2K3 anymore, given the
> > Cygwin DLL doesn't.
>
> That too, as well as the mingw64-*-headers used in the MinGW-w64
> toolchain.

I disagree, see above.

> > Therefore it might be a good idea to bump the default for these
> > Cygwin-related headers to at least 0x0600.
> >
> > Setting them to 0x0602 sounds like a good idea, but as long as we didn't
> > drop Vista or W7 support it might be premature.
>
> I suppose so for Cygwin, but the mingw64-*-headers could be different.

No, the mingw headers for Cygwin are mainly targeted at building Cygwin
executables additionally using Win32 functions, and these are runing on
0x0600 or later.  The fact that Cygwin is developed using the same set
of headers doesn't really matter for this.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer