On 2020-05-26 13:16, Maarten Hoes via Cygwin wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 7:36 PM Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> and please remember not to "top-post" if you respond there]
> [not aimed at you specifically, but ]
> Owwwh, for the love of ***, can 'we' be at least a little more lenient
> about this? I fully realize that people have their clear preferences here,
> but [like the 'indent by spaces or tabs' discussion]:
> The eighties called, and they want they're discussion back.

[Please trim email addresses from bodies so they do not appear in archives!]

Outlook TOFU email posting style is manageable for a one-on-one personal email
thread, but it's a mess when you have posters providing minimal information in
each response to requests for more info, from multiple volunteer respondents who
would like to understand enough to help, or multiple subthreads with followups
in different directions.

Some maintainers are extremely busy with limited time to either respond here, or
upgrade or diagnose and fix problems with packages, so just won't respond to
TOFU, posters who provide insufficient information, or think there is a company
or employees providing Cygwin products and support, rather than all being
volunteers, and who expect or demand immediate "mystical" support in response to
a message like "something broke and we think it might be Cygwin".

Others here will try to pry enough information from posters to point them in a
useful direction, or provide enough comprehensible information in a format that
busy maintainers can quickly read and address an issue with a package.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]