Takashi Yano via Cygwin writes:
>> 1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
>> 2. Start mintty in the usual way.
>> 3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
>> 4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
>> inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.
>
> I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.

I've had some time to look into this problem again after having updated
Cygwin to the latest and greatest.  Indeed, when

/usr/share/locale/locale.alias

gets renamed, the problem also goes away.  This is great because I don't
really need the locale aliases for anything.  Btw, my laptop got
upgraded to Win10 1909 (Enterprise) in the meantime, so the issue isn't
specific to 1803 as was supected earlier.

I then tried to figure out what exactly causes the problem and it turns
out that it's the _presence_ of this file with the additional condition
that it must not be owned by the user starting the mintty/shell.  Since
I install Cygwin on my work laptop with a different (admin) account and
not my (non-admin) user account, that explains why I am seeing the
problem there and not on other machines.  Before you are going to
suggest that it's the admin vs. non-admin rights: no, if I create a
locale.alias with my user account (either as an empty file or a copy of
the backup file), then the admin account is unable to start a shell in
mintty successfully.  I have no idea why the ownership of a file that
onnly should get read (and is readable by everyone) would have the
effect I'm seeing, but maybe that gives the clue on where to look for a
fix.

Regards,
Achim.