On Aug 28 08:29, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

> > > rewrite.
> > >
> > > Any change here (aside from just increasing NPROCS) would have to be done
> > > with care to avoid a performance hit.  I looked at the history of changes
> > > to sigproc.cc, and I found commit 4ce15a49 in 2001 in which a static array
> > > something like cprocs was replaced by a dynamically allocated buffer in
> > > order to save DLL space.  This was reverted 3 days later (commit e2ea684e)
> > > because of performance issues.
> >
> > I wonder what kind of performance issue ?
> > [...]
> I don't know for sure, but I doubt if it had anything to do with memory
> access. My guess is that the performance hit came from the need to free the
> allocated memory after every fork call (see sigproc_fixup_after_fork).

Either way, I rewrote this partially so we now have a default array size
for 255 child processes on 32 bit and 1023 child processes on 64 bit.

The new code is mainly a minor update in that it convertes the code
directly accessing stuff into using a class, encapsulating the mechanism
used under the hood behind a class barrier and access methods.

As POC, I added a bit of code to maintain a second array, which is only
allocated (using HeapAlloc so as not to spill into the child processes)
if the default array overflows.  This second array adds room for another
1023 (32 bit) or 4095 (64 bit) child processes, raising the number of
max child processes per process to 1278 on 32 bit and 5118 on 64 bit.

My STC just forking like crazy overflowed my 4 Gigs RAM + 2.5 Gigs
pagefile after roughly 1450 child processes.  I'm pretty confident that
this POC implementation is sufficient for a while, even in enterprise
scenarios.

And if not, we can now easily tweak the numbers without having to
tweak much of the code.

For testing purposes I uploaded a developer snapshot to
https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen