>>> Nowadays that would be $LOCALAPPDATA/Temp, or if you really insist, the
>>> content of /proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Environment/TMP (or TEMP),
>>> after similarly expanding environment variable references found in that.
>>>
>>> The fact that getting Windows' idea of the user's TEMP directory is not
>>> immediately platform independent may well have been part of the rationale
>>> for not even trying that.
>>
>> Well, at least it's up to the user
>>
>> If the user sets its TMP-variable to "C:\Jabba Dabba Dooo" or "/jabba dabba
>> doo", I expect the value of getenv("TMP") should be just that and regardless
>> of OS the value returned is whatever the variable is set to and not
>> magically changed to "/tmp"
> Of course and that's not happening, no worries. The issue was that TMP is set
> in /etc/profile and not inherited from the Windows environment.

Well, where my Cygwin-compiled-application is running, there’s no
Cygwin-installation and thus no /etc/profile so it cannot be set there (if
/etc/profile is not a built in resource in every executable), so there must be
some text-value inside the compiled executables used in some manner somehow

Best regards,
Kristian