I don't have any of  /user /users /User /Users folders on my setup.
Do you mean C:\Users ?

Even if I symlink it, won't that just change the location, but not the
used usernames?

As for /etc/passwd , I don't have that file.
/etc/nsswitch.conf  is empty (only comments).

It is basically a fresh cygwin (64) installation with default settings.

Regards,
David