On 28.03.2021 14:22, Brad Bell wrote:
It was unclear from my previous message that I am using the commands under the heading
     Building a Python Module
in the tutorial
     http://www.swig.org/tutorial.html
with the exception that python2.7 was changed to python3.8 because that is the version of python on my cygwin system.

These commands work fine on my Fedora system (with the proper version of python and without any extra libraries specified).

what error ?

The Tutorial needs small adjustments for what I see:

$ swig -python -py3 example.i

$ gcc -c example.c example_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python3.8

$ gcc -shared example.o example_wrap.o -o _example.dll -lpython3.8

$ python
Python 3.8.8 (default, Mar  4 2021, 21:24:42)
[GCC 10.2.0] on cygwin
>>> import example
>>> example.fact(5)
120