On 8/3/2021 8:12 PM, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:
"during user-initiated shutdowns, the kernel, drivers, and services are
preserved and restored, not just restarted."

Which was why I specifically used "shutdown /r", which is:

     /r         Full shutdown and restart the computer.

We've been advised by our admins that this command does a true and
full restart of the system, including all the kernel parts of it.

If I'm not mistaking, this command has nothing to do with "fastboot".

You may want to check with your AD server admins about this possibility.

I decided to restart my computer on Saturday, while the password had been
changed
Thursday afternoon.  Meanwhile I was perfectly able to actually _use_ my new
password
to unlock that very same Windows host, and login to different hosts (as soon as
the
new password was set, and before as well as after the reboot of my work PC).
So the caching theory is not quite substantiated, IMO.

You may want to check with your AD server admins about this possibility.

I did!  And they said: "no new policies were added and no current policies were
changed".

I repeat it again:  my new password was working everywhere I needed to enter

Might be better to reword than to repeat again.

--
John Doe