On 2021-09-14 17:27, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 06:29:19PM -0400, David McNeill of the clan McNeill
wrote:
I just performed a new Cygwin install (32 bit) and chose to install
package tcl3270, version 3.3.15ga9-1.  Installation of Cygwin, tcl3270
prerequisites, and tcl3270 completed successfully, but when I run
tcl3270.exe within Cygwin I get the following error.

C:/cygwin/bin/tcl3270.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
libtcl8.5.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Yep, dependency on older tcl libs is the problem.

In Cygwin setup, it shows that tcl 8.6.11-1 is installed.  I suspect
that tcl3270 needs to be compiled against the new tcl package.  Is the
tcl3270 package still maintained, and if so, can the package
maintainer compile against tcl 8.6.11.1 (assuming this is the
problem)?

Yes, this is the problem, but I'm having system issues and can't easily
rebuild these packages right now.  Actually, I'm trying to get the
latest x3270 packages built, but I haven't had much spare time lately.
Might still be a while until this happens.

Just so happens there's this guy called Castro ;^> who keeps copies of most setups and packages ever released in the Cygwin Time Machine:

http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

and circa (TM) 6 years ago there's copies of tcl 8.5.18-1:

http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2015/09/14/161026/index.html

with the tar at:

http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2015/09/14/161026/x86_64/release/tcl/tcl-8.5.18-1.tar.xz

$ curl -I http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2015/09/14/161026/x86_64/release/tcl/tcl-8.5.18-1.tar.xz