On 5/25/22 08:04, gs-cygwin....@gluelogic.com wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 11:36:21PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
I went back to the desktop computer that I have been using for Cygwin Perl
testing:

[...]

'make test' produced the following result:

99 wallclock secs ( 1.76 usr  0.41 sys + 342.21 cusr 375.40 csys = 719.78
CPU)

[...]
I ran Cygwin setup-x86_64.exe version 2.918 and upgraded all Cygwin
packages.
[...]
I ran the cpan(1) shell and upgraded Perl modules:
[...]

'make test' now produces:

211 wallclock secs ( 2.39 usr  2.71 sys + 525.68 cusr 998.78 csys = 1529.57
CPU)

You have merely demonstrated that there is a change in timing after
upgrading *all* of cygwin environment and packages.

Basic troubleshooting by any competent admin involves making changes
stepwise in steps as small as (reasonably) possible, and reperforming
tests each step.

Next step: go back to your older system and upgrade only the Perl
packages, then repeat the test.

If you are capable, try testing your cygwin environment on a different
machine, preferably not a corporate machine with hidden BLODA, and with
Microsoft Defender disabled (for the tests) (as previously asked by
others).

If you are capable, try testing older and newer Perl installations on a
different OS.

Annecdotally, I noticed about month or two ago that running my Perl
Test::Harness slowed down dramatically after an upgrade of both kernel
and packages on a Linux (*not Cygwin*) system.  I have not yet seen
compelling evidence from you that the slowdown is due to Cygwin, and
have seen data suggesting it is more directly related to Perl changes.

Other than your 'make test', do you have any evidence that anything else
has slowed down as dramatically between the old and new cywgin packages?
Any other shell scripts for which you tested the timing?
Any other Perl scripts for which you tested the timing?
   (and not run under 'make test')

I do not have the interest nor the means to bisect Cygwin, Perl, and/or CPAN looking for performance issues.

For my use-case (SOHO devops), Cygwin Perl performance is a "nice to have"; not a "must have". "Correctness" is the "must have".

I will continue to consider this question:

On 5/24/22 08:03, David Christensen wrote:
> What is a suitable Perl benchmark?

David