On 2023-05-17 13:11, Bruce Visscher via Cygwin wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 10:43 AM Brian Inglis <brian.ing...@shaw.ca> wrote:
You need to generate cygcheck output using -hrsv options to include package info
for us to help you.

I have attached the output of `cygcheck -hrsv`.  (Perhaps someone
should update the FAQ?)

You need the library libguile3.0_1 installed - we can not see if that is the
case or if there are any issues.

You also need to drop C:\Program Files\Microsoft\jdk-11.0.16.101-hotspot\bin
from your PATH, at least in Cygwin, as it looks like it is being injected into
make execution to intercept what it is doing, but given that it is a MS JDK
hotspot, it is probably intended for some MS JDK make product, not Cygwin's, so
it will not work, and could damage something.

I installed the package and removed C:\Program
Files\Microsoft\jdk-11.0.16.101-hotspot\bin from PATH.

Now, I get:

$ make
C:/cygwin64/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open

$ cygcheck make
Found: C:\cygwin64\bin\make.exe
C:\cygwin64\bin\make.exe
   C:\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll
     C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
       C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
       C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
   C:\cygwin64\bin\cygguile-3.0-1.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cygcrypt-2.dll
cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygffi-8.dll
cygcheck: track_down: could not find cyggc-1.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cyggmp-10.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cygintl-8.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cygunistring-5.dll
     C:\cygwin64\bin\cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll

You are definitely missing and need to install libffi8 and libgc1.

Your installation is missing these, so Cygwin Setup Program should have detected and installed these along with libguile3.0_1, as they are dependencies and not installed!

Please always ensure that you download, install, and run the latest

        https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe

although it need not be updated if unchanged as determined by `wget -N` or
`curl -z`, and that all Cygwin processes have terminated before proceeding, os that all dlls and exes can be updated.

Before running the Cygwin Setup Program again, you may wish to check
/var/log/setup.log.full for errors e.g

        $ grep -i 'error:\|warning:' /var/log/setup.log.full

Check the mintty github repo for info about winpty, which has not been updated
since Windows added conpty support, which obsoleted it.
I think Cygwin and mintty support for Windows conpty has replaced it :

As a matter of fact, perhaps I don't need winpty anymore.  I used to
have to prefix some windows console apps with this but that doesn't
seem to be necessary now.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/

https://github.com/mintty/mintty/wiki/Tips#inputoutput-interaction-with-alien-programs

Thanks for these references!