On 2024-01-21 14:12, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
Brian Inglis via Cygwin writes:
Previous maintainer added some artificial single digit release
prefixes (in a few packages), but we decided to drop those and use the
release date directly as used in the package.

That is the upstream versioning scheme for patch releases or beta
versions, which can't be used directly on Cygwin without losing the
release part of the package version.
You might want to go for something like 6.4+20240120-1 instead.

Good point, but I figured we could add the suffix .1 or something if we could not get a change merged upstream: the snapshots are weekly or better in ncurses, although others not so often, and I have no idea how they decide when to release a new GNU version 6.5?

What happens if we change versioning from 6.4-yyyymmdd to 6.4+yyyymmdd-1?

My rpm-ver.bash shell script says okay, but rpmdev-vercmp (from rpmdevtools 9.6) now complains, rpm{,-build,-devel}, python3{,9}-rpm are installed and OK, any idea?

/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rpm.py:15: UserWarning: The RPM Python bindings are not currently available via PyPI.

Please install them with your distro package manager (typically called
'python2-rpm' or 'python3-rpm'), and ensure that any virtual environments
needing the API are configured to be able to see the system site packages
directory.

  warnings.warn(warning_msg)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/mnt/c/Users/bwi/src/fedora/rpmdevtools-RPMDEVTOOLS_9_6/rpmdev-vercmp", line 121, in <module>
    main()
File "/mnt/c/Users/bwi/src/fedora/rpmdevtools-RPMDEVTOOLS_9_6/rpmdev-vercmp", line 108, in main
    rc = rpm.labelCompare((e1 or None, v1 or None, r1 or None),
AttributeError: module 'rpm' has no attribute 'labelCompare'

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry