Greetings, Vincent Rivière!

> On 24/01/2024 at 04:14, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>>> $ cd /cygdrive/h/
>> > what is H ?

> It is H:, a local NTFS partition.

>> Use csih package for more info on your remote package

> $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /cygdrive/h
> Device Type        : 0x07
> Characteristics    : 0x00020020
>    FILE_REMOVABLE_MEDIA              : FALSE
>    FILE_REMOTE_DEVICE                : FALSE
> Volume Name        : <***>
> Serial Number      : ***
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
> Flags              : 0x03e706ff
>    FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH        : TRUE
>    FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES         : TRUE
>    FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK              : TRUE
>    FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS              : TRUE
>    FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION             : TRUE
>    FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS                : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES        : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS      : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE      : FALSE
>    FILE_RETURNS_CLEANUP_RESULT_INFO  : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_POSIX_UNLINK_RENAME : TRUE
>    FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED         : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS          : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION          : TRUE
>    FILE_NAMED_STREAMS                : TRUE
>    FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME             : FALSE
>    FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE        : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS        : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_HARD_LINKS          : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_EXTENDED_ATTRIBUTES : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_OPEN_BY_FILE_ID     : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_USN_JOURNAL         : TRUE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_INTEGRITY_STREAMS   : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_BLOCK_REFCOUNTING   : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_VDL          : FALSE
>    FILE_DAX_VOLUME                   : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_GHOSTING            : FALSE
> SectorInfoFlags    : 0x03
>    SSINFO_FLAGS_NO_SEEK_PENALTY      : FALSE
>    SSINFO_FLAGS_TRIM_ENABLED         : FALSE

> By the way, I found a solution:
> setfacl -s u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r-x,d:u::rwx,d:g::r-x,d:o::r-x myfolder

I suggest you don't do that. Better just leave permissions to the system.

> After that, permissions work as expected inside "myfolder" and new
> subfolders. Even on H:. But I'm not sure to understand why. I would have
> expected that a simple chmod on myfolder would have be enough, instead of
> the obscure setfacl.

setfacl is far from obscure. chmod was never a useful tool for complicated
permissions control.
But to the both of them you better not use either outside the Cygwin root
directory.
Change the cygdrive entry in your /etc/fstab to contain noacl option and your
life suddenly become easier.

>> none /cygdrive cygdrive noacl,binary,nouser,posix=0 0 0

> Anyway, in my initial report, the "getfacl: b: Invalid argument" message
> looks really abnormal.

It looks strange, that's right. May be icacls would shine some light.
But given this is not a Cygwin root, it's better to not enforce Cygwin
permissions on it.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin