On 3/5/2024 12:46 AM, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:46, Mark Geisert via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

On 1/28/2024 11:56 PM, Mark Geisert via Cygwin wrote:
On 1/28/2024 10:44 PM, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
Good morning!

rm -f myfile
touch myfile
/usr/bin/fallocate -v -d -l myfile takes forever with latest Cygwin 3.5
                               ^ length goes here, before filename

I believe you need to
      chattr +S myfile
after the 'touch' to make the file sparsifiable.

Also, I'm unsure if '-d' makes sense when initially allocating a sparse
file.  If I leave it off, fallocate does the right thing.

I'm separately investigating the 'takes forever' report.

It's taking forever because it's in an infinite loop looking for data
followed by a hole, which is not present in a new file being created.
This is due to the '-d' option being specified.  fallocate ought to
diagnose this condition rather than looping forever, but here we are.

It's possible we have an old fallocate from an old util-linux package.
I'll try to investigate this further when I have time.

Any update on this issue?

Now that I've reviewed the whole email thread, I don't believe we ever received feedback from you on whether leaving off the '-d' option and doing the 'chattr +S' made any difference.

..mark